Gear Review

Got some gear to review?

Click here to contribute!

Friday, July 9, 2010

Montrail Mountain Masochist



Well. Beside being a fan of alliteration, and the color orange, this shoe really did it for me in a couple other ways as well.


Pros: Incredibly lightweight. Very, very breathable. Outsole has incredible traction on slippery surfaces and rough rock with ease.

Cons: Has a very high-posted heel. Also has a fairly short and narrow heel counter. This could potentially cause problems for certain foot structures. Personally, I like the way the shoe feels. It fits my foot great for running, and even hiking with a cragging pack. I usually wear a 10.5, but sized down to a 10.

I use these shoes as my every day shoe. I found that they provided the right balance of support and weight - with outstanding traction on all types of surfaces. I've used them on approach to the crag, on light hiking trips, on day hikes, during several creek crossings, and for trail running. They get wet at the drop of a hat, but they dry in no time. They even work great while carrying a 35-40 lb pack. I hiked for about six or seven miles with that amount of weight, on a fairly un-maintained trail, and my feet felt perfectly fine. I plan on using them for a 12 day backpacking trip in the Sierra this August.

I also use the Mountain Masochist as my every-day running shoe. I try to run on trail as much as possible with them, but their sole and even flex made them just as comfortable on the pavement. I haven't had any issues with durability or wear and tear - and the more dirt you get on them, the better they look. I did add a pair of the blue Superfeet insoles to them, as the stock insole is fairly flimsy EVA foam. This made them fit even better.

I am very impressed with this shoe.

Personally, I don't care very much for the rest of Montrail's line of footwear. I don't really like the style or the fit of the pairs i've tried. The Mountain Masochist really made an impression on me however - a really solid balance of affordability, weight, support, and traction. I'm convinced that the Mountain Masochist is the most well-designed and lightest trail runner/thru-hiker shoe on the market this season.


Check out our complete line of Men's Footwear here!


No comments:

Post a Comment