Gear Review

Got some gear to review?

Click here to contribute!

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Mammut TX-1

Lately I have been rather unimpressed with new gear that has come out on the market. Not that it isn't good stuff, but none of it has really gotten me excited. It seems like it is just all the same and it has me bored. So, when we got in the Mammut TX-1 headlamp initially I wasn't that excited, and thought to myself "it's just another headlamp." However, upon using the TX-1 my whole universe changed.



The Lucido technology that Mammut uses is amazing. The square beam is by far the longest reaching concentrated beam of light I have ever experienced from a headlamp. Mammut claims that the beam reaches 105 meters. It is probably one of the few headlamp beam claims I believe, agree with, and support.

Frank using his TX-1 in a cave



This winter I used it backcountry skiing at night, hiking, camping, and on early morning mountain biking rides. I can honestly say that I was never once disappointed with how this headlamp performed. It just didn't matter what the conditions were the TX-1 was able to provide me with the adequate light. I also enjoyed sitting around the camp at night and challenging friends to a beam off contest to see who's beam stretched further into the night. I always won!

One of my favorite non-light features is that you can flip the head of the lamp (i.e. where the on/off switch is) into the housing. This feature protects the headlamp face from scratching in your pack as well as from turning on and draining your batteries.

Getting back from an early morning Mt Bike Ride



My major complaint is that it is more bulky then I would like it to be. I'm not a big fan of the battery case on the back.

Pros
Awesome Beam
Battery Life indicator on the back
Multiple light settings

Cons
Size & Weight

Spech's
Battery Life max: 180hrs
Light Range max: 105m
Weight: 95g / 150g with batteries
LED Type: 1 x HiFlux.LED, 2 x Definition.LED
Flood-Light HIGH: 14m
Flood-Light LOW: 7m
Dual-Light: 105m
Batteries: 3AA

Check out our selection of Headlamps HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment