Gear Review

Got some gear to review?

Click here to contribute!

Friday, July 16, 2010

Sea-To-Summit Pocket Shower

Pros: Super lightweight and packable. Has a large water capacity for how small it packs. Nozzle allows for adjustable flow, and is easy to use.

Cons: Doesn't heat as fast as some similar 'solar' shower models. However, if left all day in the sun, the Pocket Shower provides lukewarm-warm water at the end of a long day of hiking and adventuring!

I think that Sea to Summit did a good job designing this camp shower. The real advantage is the weight - super light, and it packs very small. I don't know about the rest of you, but I hate carrying extra stuff that doesn't get used. It's hard for me to justify even the small amount of extra space it takes to pack a 'shower' on a backcountry trip. That's like... three Clif bars. Extra fuel. Extra coffee.

Anyways. Sea to Summit has designed a small, packable camp shower that also happens to work well! I had to back the nozzle off a little bit at first, as the flow was sort of funky - sort of uneven. After that I got used to how the shower worked, and it was actually quite enjoyable - the flow was adjustable all the way from a tiny trickle to an adequate shower! I left it hanging all day, collecting heat. After a long day, the air-temperature (maybe a bit warmer) water felt really nice. I have to admit that showering outside is much more fun than showering inside. I had forgotten this, since the last time I used an outdoor shower I was somewhere between the age of six and ten.

I'd give this product a good to great review, but my own personal preference is bathing in rivers and lakes! Nothing beats that, in my opinion. However, the shower does exactly what it is designed to do, and it does it well! I can see how this would be very useful on a desert trip especially - areas where running water or larger bodies are scarce, and bathing can be tougher. If given a choice between bringing or not bringing the Pocket Shower on backpacking trips this summer, i'm going to have to go with the latter - as I described though, this is a matter of my own personal preference - no extra nonessential stuff!

If you're looking for a lighter-weight shower that still has great water capacity, then the Sea to Summit Pocket Shower is a great choice. If you really need a shower that gets hot quickly, get a more dedicated solar shower. Otherwise, the combo of price, weight, and simplicity is hard to beat! Props to STS.

No comments:

Post a Comment